Monday, November 16, 2009

FALL 2009 Brennan Manning in Birmingham, AL (session 1)

I finally got to meet the famous author of one of the greatest books I have ever read, Brennan Manning. I actually still have a few pages to go in The Ragamuffin Gospel. I cannot believe I am just now reading this book! I am going to post my notes from the four sessions over the course of this week. Here are the notes from session one. Know that these are rough notes, not a manuscript by any means. Some of the thoughts seem to just cut off…that is a combination of my wondering mind and the way Brennan spoke. I literally thought he was going to pass out a few times, especially on Friday night. Many of the things he said are well worth repeating and I hope they are things I will be sharing with others and living myself for the rest of my life.

My books have aimed at dispelling myths of God and helping them experience the God of Jesus Christ. This is the main business of Christianity.

God’s love is so great that he will no allow us to keep false images, not mater how much they comfort us.

The truth of the intimate love of God is echoed in the unique love of God. God loves me as I really am, a bundle of paradoxes and contradictions.

Aristotle says I’m a rational animal. I say I’m an angel with a capacity for beer.

Do you believe that God loves you so much that he would rather die than be without you?

Feb 8 1956 – In a 4 hour experience of Gods passionate love for me. It changed the entire direction of my life.

Do you believe that God loves you? That he is crazy about you? If not, you are projecting onto Jesus your own negative thoughts about yourself.

Do you believe that God loves you as you are and not as you should be? Nobody in this building is how you should be. Only you can answer that question. It is the sheer work of Grace for us to live in the house of love rather than in the house of fear.

No comments: