Thursday, July 06, 2006

Kyle Lake's last sermon

I wrote this on July 4th

I just finished reading Kyle Lake’s last sermon. It is inspiring. I really like it. Some might say that it is too light on theology…heck…I might say that. But inspiration, creativity, connection to the speaker, and connection to God are what I think are the cornerstones of a good sermon. This sermon has them all. If you know me, you know that I think Rob Bell and Louie Giglio are the greatest preachers around today. Now, I want to get my hands on some Kyle Lake stuff so I can see what he was all about and have my preaching style shaped somewhat by his preaching style. This sermon was never preached because he was electrocuted on Sunday morning just before he was to deliver it. Good thing for us that he didn’t prepare his sermons like me and walk up there with an outline written in crayon during the announcements. Here is the conclusion. Maybe it will tempt you to read the whole thing.

Live.
And Live Well.
BREATHE.
Breathe in and Breathe deeply.
Be PRESENT.
Do not be past.
Do not be future.
Be now.
On a crystal clear, breezy 70 degree day, roll down the windows and FEEL the wind against your skin.
Feel the warmth of the sun.
If you run, then allow those first few breaths on a cool Autumn day to FREEZE your lungs and do not just be alarmed, be ALIVE.
Get knee-deep in a novel and LOSE track of time.
If you bike, pedal HARD… and if you crash then crash well.
Feel the SATISFACTION of a job well done—a paper well-written, a project thoroughly completed, a play well-performed.
If you must wipe the snot from your 3-year old’s nose, don’t be disgusted if the Kleenex didn’t catch it all… because soon he’ll be wiping his own.
If you’ve recently experienced loss, then GRIEVE.
And Grieve well.
At the table with friends and family, LAUGH. If you’re eating and laughing at the same time, then might as well laugh until you puke.
And if you eat, then SMELL.
The aromas are not impediments to your day.
Steak on the grill, coffee beans freshly ground, cookies in the oven.
And TASTE.
Taste every ounce of flavor.
Taste every ounce of friendship.
Taste every ounce of Life.
Because-it-is-most-definitely-a-Gift.

If you want me to email you the entire sermon manuscript, then just say so in the comment box.

So now...may you LIVE and find inspiration from the great crowd of onlookers that watches every step you take in the race!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I would love for you to eMail me the complete script of Kyle Lakes last sermon.
I thank you in advance for taking the time to email me.
My adress is s.walter@berkeley.edu.

sincerely

steve

Garrett said...

My man Steve...

I tried to email you at that addie twice and both times it bounced back to me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gatrett,

I would love to get a copy of the complete script.

My e-mail address is sinkingsoon@yahoo.com

Thanks a ton in advance,

Cheers

Anonymous said...

It seems I misspelt you name...the biggest offense ever...sorry Garrett!

Sinkingsoon

Merry Shipman said...

can i get a copy of the full sermon...thank you.

Garrett said...

Merry's Thoughts, what email address do you want me to email it to?

Unknown said...

Please email me the manuscript of Kyle Lake's last sermon! aliciakhoo84@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
If you still have it (I know it's been quite a while), could I get that Kyle Lake sermon? Thanks so much.
Elise Crapuchettes
ecrapuchettes@gmail.com

Sara McCormick said...

Do you still have the full sermon? I'd love to have it. Thanks!

mccormicksd@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Would love it.

caleb.white@live.com

Anonymous said...

Do you still have the manuscript?

Ryan Pryor - ryanpryor@fuller.edu